Turmeric is a well-known spice utilised in curries and other food items. It has also been used as a medicinal herb. A yellow chemical found in turmeric is called curcumin. It consists of anti-inflammatory properties and helps increase the body’s anti-oxidants. Curcumin is extracted from turmeric to produce supplements in the form of tablets. To improve bioavailability, various formulations of curcumin have been created. Curcumin tablets have high potency. If you want to know more benefits, you can read on.
- It helps ease symptoms of osteoarthritis: Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, curcumin supplements are effective and safe for people with osteoarthritis. The authors of the “Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology” book series published their review online in August 2021, stating that curcumin is effective in the treatment of osteoarthritis. A study was conducted with people suffering from osteoarthritis. All those who took 1000 mg of the curcumin supplements each day experienced considerable improvements in their physical functions and stiffness after a few months. In another study conducted to understand the potential effects of curcumin on patients with knee osteoarthritis, curcumin supplements were given to patients. After consuming 40 mg of tablets every 12 hours, this group experienced a considerable decrease in stiffness and pain after six weeks.
- It can lower the risk of cardiovascular diseases: Researchers have studied heart diseases for decades and concluded that it is the number one cause of death. Research published in the National Library of Medicine states that curcumin can reverse the process of heart diseases. Taking its supplements help improve the functioning of the lining of the blood vessels or endothelium. One of the major drivers of cardiovascular diseases is endothelium dysfunction. Different factors such as blood clotting and unregulated blood pressure contribute to endothelium dysfunction. Curcumin can improve vascular endothelial function in postmenopausal women.
Furthermore, it can also reduce oxidation and inflammation. As per research, 121 people undergoing bypass surgery consumed 4 grams of curcumin daily before and after the surgery. The result was that their heart attack risk decreased by up to 65 per cent.
- It can help prevent cancer: Since inflammation is associated with the growth of the tumour, curcumin plays a role in the prevention of different cancer types like prostate, colorectal, gastric, pancreatic and breast. It can prevent tumours by slowing down the spread of the tumour cells. It can cause cancer cells to die or disrupt the formation of cancer cells at different stages.
- It improves the health of the skin: The skin is the largest organ of the body and protects your body from germs. This outermost protective layer helps regulate the internal body temperature. Some unwanted skin conditions like psoriasis, eczema, and chronic acne might need treatment. Hence, you can consume curcumin tablets to improve the health of the skin. Curcumin helps decrease the oxidative stress linked to inflammatory skin conditions.
- It helps treat depression: Curcumin has shown to be effective against depression. A study with 60 people suffering from depression who took curcumin supplements found improvements. This study concluded that curcumin was an effective antidepressant. Depression has been often associated with a shrinking hippocampus and reduced levels of BDNF. But with the help of curcumin, you can improve the levels of BDNF and reverse a few of the changes. As per some evidence, it can also boost the brain’s neurotransmitters like dopamine and serotonin.